Best Hotels in Oakland, California
Headed to Oakland? We got you. When you visit “The Town,” you’ll get a taste of the classically cool flavor the Bay Area is so widely known for. From classic mainstays you know and love to indie locales waiting for your discovery — we know all about Oakland hotels.
Known as the sunny side of the bay, Oakland is San Francisco’s cooler sister, similar to New York’s Brooklyn. Whether you’re cruising the local art walk at First Fridays, hitting the beer gardens on Telegraph Avenue, catching a show at the Fox Theatre or picnicking the afternoon away at Lake Merritt — Oakland has plenty to offer and we’ve got hotels to match.
Why We Love Oakland
See ya later, SF! Sun’s out in Oakland.
- Solid hotels: Looking for a place to land in Oakland? Look no further. From waterfront locales with ferry access and breakfast on the house to indie-chic boutiques with house bikes and urban flair — we’ll find you a killer Oakland hotel.
- Get artsy: Oakland is all about it’s art. Don’t miss First Fridays for an all-out block party full of local music, crafts and more. Hit Temescal Alley to find indie businesses peddling sweet treats like the Homestead Apothecary and Marisa Mason. Explore the Oakland Museum of California for fresh exhibits. Then, catch a concert at the Fox or a special event at the Paramount.
- Local flavor: What are you craving? Yep, Oakland has that. Deep dish? Hit Zachary’s. 20-ingredient mole sauce? Head to Agave Uptown. Hearty Ethiopian? Let’s go to Cafe Colucci. Oyster shooters at alaMar, tapas at MUA, po’ boys at Brown Sugar Kitchen, need we go on?
- Lakeside life: “Let’s go to the lake” might as well be Oakland’s weekend rallying cry. Locals head to Lake Merritt for a morning run, an afternoon barbeque or an evening hangout with friends. The 3.1-mile lake can be walked, jogged, paddled, peddled or toured via Veneitan gondola. Nearby, take the kids to Children’s Fairyland — a storybook theme park that inspired Disneyland.
- Bar hop: If you’re getting a little thirsty after all that sightseeing, have no fear. Oakland’s bar scene is top notch. Start at Mad Oak for brews on the patio (also a great spot to catch a Warrior’s game.) Then, move uptown to Cafe Van Kleef for a fresh squeezed greyhound and live music. Hit Woods for wine on tap and homemade empanadas to cap off your night.
Where to find the best hotels in Oakland, California
Looking for the best last-minute hotel deals in Oakland? HotelTonight lets you book amazing hotels tonight, tomorrow or beyond at incredible rates. Just search Oakland with HotelTonight and find a great hotel at an even better price.